Winter is here and the outdoors is experiencing a noticeable change. There are fewer bees and flies, as well as mosquitoes and other flying insects. These pests are often associated with spring, summer and autumn, making them a nuisance for almost all outdoor activities. The colder weather means relief from the stings and bites of these pests, which homeowners are grateful for. The absence of flying pests does not necessarily mean that there aren’t as many pests in winter. You need to be familiar with pest control tips in order to stop them from entering your home.
While bees and mosquitoes might fly overhead in the summer, spiders, rodents and cockroaches will crawl underfoot during cooler months. These pests seek shelter from the cold, so your warm home is cozy for them as well. You must take preventative measures to keep these pests away. They could cause more damage than just cobwebs in your home. Some spider bites can cause side effects, while Hantavirus or Salmonella may be transmitted to rodents. Cockroaches could trigger asthma and allergies.
Winter Pest Control
The National Pest Management Association offers some helpful tips for homeowners to keep winter pests out of your home.
- To prevent rodents getting into your home, seal any cracks or holes on the exterior. Inspect all areas that have utilities or pipes. A tiny hole about the size of one dime can be accessed by a rodent.
- Weather stripping and loose mortar should be replaced around windows and crawl space foundation.
- Keep firewood stored at least 20 feet away from your home. If the pile is nearby, ants and mice can build nests in wood piles.
- Rodents can hide in clutter easily so be sure to organize your storage areas and keep the boxes off of the floor.
- Remove all moisture sources such as clogged drains or leaking pipes. Bathrooms and kitchens should be treated with more care as they are prime areas for cockroach infestations.
- Install door sweeps and repair damage screens in your windows.
- Screen chimney vents and ensure that crawlspaces, attics, and basements are well-ventilated.
Winter brings many worries, including snow, wind, and frost. This could lead to damage to your home. These pest control tips can help to reduce the likelihood of your home suffering from other seasonal problems caused by pests. Winter pests can be kept out of your home to make it a more inviting place for family gatherings and holiday parties.
If you believe your home is infested by pests, contact Zap Pest Control Inc. immediately.
Zap Pest Control Inc.
2507 Forestbrook Rd Suite G
Myrtle Beach, SC 29588