Cockroaches. Where do we start? These prehistoric pests have been around for nearly 300 million years. They are fascinating and adaptable creatures, which is why they’re extremely difficult to control. These are also among the many reasons why it’s difficult to control a cockroach infestation.
Listed below are some tips from pest control experts that can help you prevent a cockroach infestation, especially during the winter season.
Facts About Cockroaches
- They can stay underwater for 30 minutes
- They can survive without a head for up to 7 days. They have tiny holes in their bodies that allow them to breathe, which allows them to survive even if they don’t breathe air through their mouths.
- There are at least 4,000 species of cockroach in the entire world.
- Cockroaches can run 3 miles in one hour.
- They can survive without food for one month and without water for one week.
Will A Cockroach Bite You?
The simple answer is yes. These pests are omnivorous which means they can bite you and feed on other animals and plants.
However, the risk of getting bitten by a cockroach is minimal unless the infestation is extreme and they have no other source of food.
Where do cockroaches hide in winter?
Cockroaches are active even during winter. Some may hibernate during this season because they don’t like the cold. They enter what they refer to as diapause, which is referred to as a reduced metabolic state. But they have a wide range of options when it comes to finding food and shelter today, which is why they continue to grow, multiply, and infest homes regardless of the season.
Do Cockroaches Carry Germs
Cockroaches can carry different kinds of germs that cause health problems. They eat anything including rotten food, waste, and feces. They can run up to three miles an hour, which means they can touch and crawl over anything. As long as they’re alive, cockroaches carry germs and bacteria. They’re known to spread various kinds of diseases such as gastroenteritis, salmonella, and even allergic reactions.
How to prevent cockroach infestation?
It may seem like there’s no way to get rid of these pests. But there are ways to prevent cockroaches from infesting your home not only during winter but all year round. Here are some Myrtle Beach pest control tips you need to know.
- Always keep your kitchen clean. As much as possible, spend at least 15 minutes tidying up your kitchen every night.
- Put away the dishes and wash them right away.
- Sweep your kitchen floor and get rid of any crumbs or food particles that may attract cockroaches.
- Take out your garbage regularly.
- Vacuum hard-to-reach spaces like under your table and couch.
- Seal any openings around your home that may be used by pests as entry points.
- Hire an exterminator to get rid of cockroaches. A trained pest control specialist know what to do with these pests.
Call Zap Pest Control Inc. now if you need help getting rid of pests in your home.
Like our Facebook page for more great info about pest control services.